So I finally began truly editing Innocence today, starting with the prologue :) Very happy with it.
I didn’t know the toll one mistake would have on me.
It was in the winter, although that season doesn’t truly exist in Australia.
There were four of us in the room. Two bodies lay on the floor. One was hardly daring to breathe. The other wasn’t breathing at all. The weight of the body on top of the first man was almost unbearable. Not so much physically, but emotionally. The pain was agonising and the voices around him were just that – voices.
I know. I was there.
How easy it would’ve been to switch off, if that voice hadn’t been getting louder in my ears.
Did I kill my wife?
I’d considered my response for several moments. I didn’t particularly want to respond at all. Just lay there like nothing had ever happened. Be a dog. Play dead. But unconsciousness didn’t come. I was as awake as I’d ever been. That voice wouldn’t shut up. I could feel their spit on my face. The same question over and over.
DID I KILL MY WIFE?
I knew the true answer was not the one sought. I also knew that a child’s fate rested with me.
“No.”
If I had of known that sixteen years later it would still be affecting the families, maybe I wouldn’t have done what I did.
Nothing.
[220 words]
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment