Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Enemies Reunited

I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get away from him. He wasn't what he used to be. Neither of us were. I didn't want to turn away from him, but I did. My brisk walk turned into a run. Straight into the path of his new mates. This was not good. I gulped, looking around for the gaps in the crowd, but quite suddenly they all appeared to be looking at me. I couldn't stop blinking my eyes. I had to get out. I ran left, managing to part between two of them, into the eyes of onlookers. Criminals. All looking at me, as I shared their space for my own criminal records.

My eyes landed on Thomas. Boy was I glad to see him. Of all the inmates to share a cell with, I was glad to be put with him. He, at least, seemed normal. But he was looking at me funny. I frowned. I wanted to say I was sorry for the past few weeks, my ignorance of him, even annoyance. If he could help me today, I'd take it all back. I was no longer wanted around Cameron. Good riddance.

"Tom!" I called out. His eyes flickered to some point behind me and I spun around, falling on my backside as three men came jumping on top of me. I screamed like a little girl, before lunging into the attack on my new enemy.

[240 words]

No comments:

Post a Comment