"Hi, I'm Cameron. I've just moved to the area to start what I hope will be my new life. I've had it hard over the last few years... I lost my Dad... and I've been having trouble remembering a side of him that wasn't consumed by alcohol... The other day I had a dream and woke up realising... I don't want to be like that. I don't want to be like that at all. And I disposed of my drugs. Fighting a real urge to get them back, but I want to show that I have control over myself in a way that he didn't."
Russell shook his head. Sure, probably some of that was true. He'd honestly believed it word for word at the time. Now he could never be sure exactly how much was to be believed.
Russell had called after him after the group split up and introduced himself.
"You know I think that's a real good way to look at your problem. You're admitting to it, you're finding the reason and you're on your way to solving it. Keep it up, man."
"Thanks," he'd replied shortly, pausing for a moment, "So are... what about you?"
He sighed, shaking his head again. He'd told Cameron about his own addiction, opened out to him. They'd become mates. He'd done work for him for a bit of extra cash. Then he was dragged into further games with him. Deeper and deeper until he couldn't get out. Until the point where he was now. Trapped and entwined in his web.
[300 words]
No comments:
Post a Comment