Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Kill

Cameron shoved her easily against the wall, slapping his hand across her mouth and silencing her screams. She was looking wide eyed at the person in front of her. That person being me. I cringed, looking away and around the apartment. Clean white tiles and cabinets in the kitchen. They'd be a bloody mess by the time we left, I was sure. I turned back to the pair of them. Damn it, we had to leave! I wasn't going to kill this woman. Not with those happy snaps taped to the refrigerator, the frames along the wall.

"Cameron," I insisted, "let's just go."

He gave me a look and I turned to address the scared little woman. She was fighting all her strength against him, but she was wasting her time and energy. Cameron was too strong. Always was.

"Listen, you were a witness to the Henderson case 16 years ago. We're here to remind you not to get involved. You don't remember those days very well, your word hasn't changed in the years gone by. You can be of no help to any recent investigations. You won't tell anyone about this visit, and life we carry on as normal. Got it? You can stay quiet, can't you?"

Cameron let go of her, shoving her back into the wall again as he turned on me.

"Get your gun out now."

I gave in, taking it out to please him.

"Now, kill her."

"No," I repeated.

He took the woman by the hair and dragged her over towards the kitchen, taking a knife from the top draw. She whimpered, over and over. I won't tell. I won't tell.

"Kill her painlessly with a single bullet. Do that and she won't suffer for hours, waiting for the blood loss to spill from her helpless body..."

He bought the knife up to her chest, making a slice through the material on her top. The tears were streaming down her face. I looked her in the eye, then had to divert them to my gun. Fuck it. Fuck Cameron. The knife was bearing on the tips of her shoulder blades. I'd seen the photos of those kids. Seen them squirm in pain for hours...

I bought the gun up level and felt the tears mirroring hers in my eyes. I fired.

[387 words]

No comments:

Post a Comment