Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chase to Collision

I chased after him, pelting up the steps two at a time, calling him back. He was too far ahead of me. He was almost at the top.

“Go away!” he screamed and I looked up from my feet. He had paused to regain his breath, to yell at me to stop following him. I couldn’t do that. I seized the opportunity, speeding up the steps quicker with every step.

“I’m giving you the opportunity to get away!” the teenager screamed, “Just take it! Leave me alone!”

I had almost caught up, steps away. The boy turned and took his last couple to the top. I wanted to yell after him, but I concentrated my energy on those last steps to reach the flat roofing. He was halfway across the top of the landing now. I had to get him to hesitate before he went and threw himself over the side. I yelled out to him.

“After all you’ve done! After all those calls for help, after all those clues! You’re just going to leave like that?”

The boy looked back just as the man collided hard with his body, both falling to the ground.

[195 words]

No comments:

Post a Comment