Monday, May 3, 2010

In Pieces

Woooot, finally! A longer daily :)

The room was deadly silent. I couldn’t hear anything, except perhaps a small beeping coming from somewhere on my right. I couldn’t force my eyes open, so I continued to lie there, calm and unthinking. The silence was so peaceful. So truly wonderful to the ear. But it never remains that way. There was a small screeching noise against the ground. It shouldn’t have bothered me, but it did. A flash in my mind –

I couldn’t see. The white light was blinding me. Was it a star? A sun? I squinted. No. They were headlights. What were they doing there? They were almost pretty, but much too bright. I tried to look away.

“He wants to tell you something.”

He? Who was that? Wait a minute. The lights are gone. The voice must’ve scared them away. Oh well. I attempted to focus on the voice instead. Who wanted to tell me what? Another flash –

I’m heading straight for you. Cameron! Cameron was out to get me! My heart clenched. Ihad to run. But where to run to? I should call Ryan. He always knows what to do. But no… no. I don’t need to bother him. He said he’d call back in a minute. Nothing could happen between now and then.

Another distraction. This time, crying. Weeping. I wanted to tell them not to. They were calling my name repeatedly. Over and over. There was too much yelling. It was all too loud. I was fine. I was right there. I could hear them all. If I could just get my lips to move I’d be able to tell them that. Why weren’t they moving? Felt as if they were glued tight shut. A warm trickle dripped over them and the drops dripped onto his tongue. Blood, I noted. Was someone bleeding?

“It’s okay now. He’s gone. He’s behind bars.”

Who? Cameron? Well that was a relief. But ‘he wants to tell you something’. Why was everyone called ‘he’ nowdays? How was I meant to tell which male figure they were talking about? Could be any one of my friends. Or enemies. Maybe it wasn’t Cameron that was behind bars after all. Maybe it was…

“You saved an innocent man’s life.”

Innocence! I was innocent! I swear. I’ll tell anyone. I’m not the only one that’s innocent either. Nick is too. He was in jail here, too. Wait, is that where I was now? Jail? I had to wake up. Any minute Gavin would be hassling me, looking to start a fight –

“There’s something you don’t know about me. I’m… we’re…”

Yes? Yes? I’m listening. I’ll listen now. Please, explain it to me. The fight can wait. Silence. No. No, there couldn’t be silence. It was disturbing now. Keep talking. Please keep talking. I need to hear the rest of this story. Me. Me. Who did that voice belong to? Were they footsteps? No! No! Please, please don’t walk away. Not now. You’re nearly there. Don’t leave me. Wait!

Quite suddenly, I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was the man with his hand on the doorknob, ready to walk out.

“Nick,” I tried to scream, but barely a murmur came out. He didn’t hear me. The beeping was getting louder. I had to be heard. “Nick,” I wheezed again. To my amazement, he turned. And came to me in pieces.

[565 words]

No comments:

Post a Comment