"I don't want to go, Mum."
The boy tried one final attempt at a chance to stay home with her, and his newborn sister.
"You'll be fine," she replied as she tucked in his collar, "Your Dad will be there. And you make sure you write every week."
"But what if I don't come back?"
"You will, honey. I need someone to help around the farm."
He let out a half hearted chuckle, then sighed. It was not something he had planned on ever taking up, although if it was for the country, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. He had a few mates going. He'd probably spend time with them, and it'd all just be a ball, right? No. No, he had a feeling it wouldn't be. It wasn't the greatest feeling in the world, but he would live with it. The war would be over soon.
[148 words]
No comments:
Post a Comment